Search This Blog

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Balance Wii Fitness with feeling the fool


Later this year Nintendo plan to release a new game called Wii Fitness (or Wii Fit if you are outside Europe). Consisting of 40 or so fitness games, it also includes a 'Balance Board' that gives feedback on how the prancing folk in front of the TV are doing. Basically it's the workout version of the popular DS game, Brain Training. In Japan, Nintendo shipped over one million units for launch and have managed to sell them. Obviously there is a demand but, would you use one? I think it's safe to say that if you're a male sharing a flat with a couple of other male friends, then breaking a sweat on your Balance Board is going to invite all sorts of abuse. In a fatigued state, you may well be too exhausted to fight your flatmates off, verbally or otherwise.

However, an easy way to workout in your living room that can avoid boredom is bound to be popular with people. I could do with dropping a few pounds but I just don't know if this is something I want. I think it's due to all the ratings and feedback that are offered. I'm in my 30s and I really don't want a game telling me I have the fitness of a man in his late 40s. Perhaps if the fitness rating were based on animals I would be happier. I can live with being told I am at a badger's level in fitness so I could perhaps aim towards being rated as something such as a squirrel or a lima. It's pretty much the same reason I have never played Brain Training on the DS. As well as yogic balance and press-ups (yawn) there are some fun mini games involved in the Wii Fitness, such as ski jumping and hula hooping, so I might find I love it when I actually have a go.

More from: Times Online